Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little unluckiness, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Columbia during the colder seasons, when they’re required to keep you warm. While you know the team at Watts Electric & A/C Inc will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to confirm that a repair is needed and save yourself some expenses if it’s not. We’ve collected this checklist of things to try before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is turned “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to realize the thermostat or the heat pump itself is turned off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t kicked on, revisit your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat switched to heat? If yes, increase the temperature by five degrees to check if it turns on.
- If everything looks correct, check your heat pump switch (if it has one) and test the fuses and circuit breaker that shield the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is a blockage causing your heat pump to breakdown?
- Try swapping the battery, if it has one.
- Check your air filters inside your air handler to confirm they’re not blocking things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve worked through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Watts Electric & A/C Inc at 601-736-7362 and we’ll restore your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.