Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Columbia, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it should be switched out. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at Watts Electric & A/C Inc can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Watts Electric & A/C Inc in Columbia a call to begin. Contact our team at 601-736-7362 or book an appointment with us online.