Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how regularly your air filter has been replaced, to name a few—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less often. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are absolutely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam inside your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have not as much airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s more than likely time to ask Watts Electric & A/C Inc in Columbia about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the timeline between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, setup routine HVAC maintenance with the experts at Watts Electric & A/C Inc. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating effectively, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Watts Electric & A/C Inc about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends replacing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not require exchanging.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that let dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Columbia home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Watts Electric & A/C Inc a call at 601-736-7362.