While the cold season seems like it’s already been here for far too long, its influence on our heating bill is just beginning. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to potentially reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help stave off high heating bills.
To start controlling your heating bills and boosting your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to allow sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing cracks and crevices around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Adding a programmable thermostat so that you can more easily control the temperature in your home, which will also enhance energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every few months.
- Inspecting your heating vents to make sure they are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Adding insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Attempting to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round battle, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 601-736-7362. Our experts are here to help you keep your home comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Columbia weather.