Whenever your gas furnace is working, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is running properly, it is safely deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a result of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Taking in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and maintain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to perceive carbon monoxide is gathering in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it inspected. The experts at Watts Electric & A/C Inc can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best way to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly checkup, your experts will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a great idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a dirty filter can cause carbon monoxide to escape your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always depend on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few precautions. You’ll always have the pros at Watts Electric & A/C Inc in Columbia just around the corner to help, too. Give us a call at 601-736-7362 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.